How to Take Care of Dry Skin
Some of us experience dry skin during the winter months, particularly if we live in a dry climate, but there are others who suffer with dry skin throughout the year. Characterized by a fine texture with very small pores, dry skin look lovely when you’re young, but not taking care of it as you age can lead to premature wrinkles, deep expression lines and flaky or irritated skin. Caring for dry skin doesn’t have to be difficult, however. Here are a few tips on how to take care of dry skin.
Basic care should still include washing the face twice a day; once in the morning and once before you go to bed. Avoid soap, as it can dry out the skin; try a very gentle cleanser formulated for dry skin. Also, avoid using very hot water, both for washing your face and in the shower, as hot water can also dry out the skin.
If you use a toner, be sure that it doesn’t contain any alcohol, as alcohol can also irritate your skin and cause it to be dryer. Moisturizer is also an important part of your skin care routine. You’ll need a rich moisturizer to help keep your skin hydrated and you may wish to try a richer moisturizer in the winter and a lighter moisturizer in the summer.
Exfoliating helps promote healthy cell regeneration by removing the dead skin cells, which helps the healthy skin breathe better, although those with dry skin should only do this once a week in order to avoid irritating the skin. Be sure to use an exfoliant that is gentle and always apply moisturizer or a moisturizing mask afterwards.
You can also keep your skin healthy by drinking plenty of water to keep your body hydrated and follow a healthy diet with plenty of fresh foods to get plenty of nutrients and vitamins. Foods that are rich in Omega-3, like salmon and flax seeds, may help improve your skin.
- Wash your face: twice a day without soap (morning/evening),
- Avoid hot water: when washing face and during showers,
- Skin cleansers: use very gentle cleansers special for dry skin type,
- Skin toners: if used, avoid skin toners that contain alcohol,
- Skin moisturizers: use rich moisturizers in winter time and lighter in summer, check how to choose moisturizers,
- Skin exfoliators: maximum once per week and only gentle exfoliators, follow with moisturizers,
- Drink plenty of water: to keep your body hydrated.